Protein Packed Pumpkin Bread
|pumpkin puree||1 cup|
|egg whites (or 1 whole egg)||2|
|vegetable oil||1/4 cup|
|brown sugar||1/2 cup|
|whole wheat flour||1 cup|
|Neora Plant-based Protein Powder||2 scoops|
|baking soda||1 tsp|
|fine grain sea salt||1/2 tsp|
|ground nutmeg||1/4 tsp|
|ground ginger||1/4 tsp|
|a pinch of black pepper|
|Optional: chopped walnuts or dark chocolate chips|
The holiday season of eating is upon us, but that doesn’t mean we have to forego all of our hard-won healthy habits. Get your pumpkin fix with an added boost of protein in this yummy and satisfying bread recipe. The extra protein will help keep you feeling fuller for longer and will work to keep cravings in check, so you’ll be feeling a step ahead come those resolutions in January. Go ahead–have an extra slice!
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Lightly grease and flour a loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl combine pumpkin puree, egg whites, vegetable oil, water, and sugar. Whisk until well combined.
- In another bowl, combine whole wheat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, pepper and baking soda. Carefully stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. If you feel like, sprinkle some oats on top.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. The bread is ready when a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. You want to get that beautiful orange/gold color on the cake, but at the same time you don’t want to bake all the moisture out of it.
You can easily get 16 slices out of this loaf. If so, each slice will score the following nutrition facts: 91 calories, with just 13 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fat and over 4 grams of protein.