Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
|chicken broth||6 cups|
|cooked chicken, diced||2 cups|
|white onion, diced||1|
|olive oil||2 tbsps|
|uncooked arborio rice||1/2 cup|
|eggs, room temperature||3|
|lemon juice||3 tbsps|
|Salt & pepper to taste|
|Lemon zest for garnish (optional)|
|Parsley for garnish (optional)|
Avgolemono is a creamy, citrusy, Greek chicken soup with rice that is filling enough to be eaten on its own as a meal. It’s so easy to make that it should be a cold-weather staple at your house!
This soup has literally 8 ingredients – including olive oil. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken, or a rotisserie chicken. Cook time is under 30 minutes and prep is so minimal – dicing the onion is the most labor-intensive part!
You’d expect a soup this creamy to have, well, cream in it. Or at least some dairy! But this soup is dairy-free.
- While this soup is incredibly easy, you can end up with scrambled eggs if you don’t temper your eggs. To avoid this, take your eggs out early and let them come to room temperature, or slowly whisk the hot broth into your eggs.
- We highly recommend zesting your lemons as part of your prep. The zest makes a huge difference even though it’s a garnish. The parsley is optional as well but if you have it on hand, add it because it really amps up the flavor.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Then add onions. Sauté until soft or about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then, add rice. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- While rice is cooking, whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl until eggs are smooth. then add lemon juice.
- Whisk in one cup of hot broth into the egg mixture and set aside.
- Add chicken to soup pot. Heat for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is warmed. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then turn off the heat.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture into the soup until fully combined.
- Garnish with lemon zest and fresh parsley. Serve & enjoy!