Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Squares
|rolled oats||2 1/2 cups|
|baking powder||1 tsp|
|large bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)||2|
|pure vanilla extract||1 tsp|
|unsweetened almond milk||1/4 cup|
|Optional: 1/2-2/3 cup dark chocolate chips*|
Who says you can’t have chocolate for breakfast? These chocolate chip banana oat squares are packed with filling fiber to help fuel you through your morning along with energizing B vitamins which help convert the food we eat into usable energy. Bananas sweeten up this recipe enough that you can even omit the honey and chocolate chips for a no added sugar version. It tastes so decadent, you’ll want it for dessert as well!
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Pre-grease an 8 x 8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt using a whisk and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together bananas, egg, vanilla extract, honey and almond milk.
- Combined wet and dry ingredients using a spatula until you achieve a uniform batter. Gently fold in chocolate chips (optional).
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing into squares.
- Store in a container with a lid in the fridge or up to a week.
*For a no added sugar version of this recipe, you can omit the honey and chocolate chips