Instagram, YouTube, FaceBook, TikTok, the list goes on and on; social media has completely transformed the world and the way we interact so much so that many individuals and companies make their livelihoods online. The virtual community has created endless positive opportunities for many, but has also led to feelings of inadequacy and comparison. As users, it is our responsibility to take control of the media we are digesting and filter out the content that feels unhealthy.
You are in Control
Social Media is typically the highlight reel of your life. Most people use their platforms to showcase the best and most beautiful moments. I think everyone wants to portray the greatest version of themselves, so where does this become unhealthy? Constantly being inundated with glamorous trips, perfectly sculpted bodies, and happy relationships can take a toll on anyone and cause comparison to take place. It’s so important to remember that we are in control of who we follow and ultimately the media we consume. Below are a few tricks that can help you stay in the driver’s seat of your social media:
- Unfollow any accounts that cause you to pick apart yourself or your life. If you don’t feel motivated or inspired by said content, unfollow!
- Consider setting a time limit to monitor usage on certain apps such as Instagram. This tool allows you to take a more mindful approach to your media consumption.
- Don’t bring your phone to bed. Try falling asleep without any distractions and take note of any changes in your mood.
- Invest in an alarm clock. If your phone is your wake up call, consider buying an alarm that will allow you to wake up without immediately hitting your favorite social sites. This small change can make a huge difference in your day!
Use Social Media to Enhance Your Life
The ability to connect to anyone, anywhere, anytime has major benefits that we can all use to our favor. There is a platform for everyone and social media allows your voice to be heard and your talent to be discovered. If we use social media to enrich our lives and explore new ideas rather than pick ourselves apart, we are ultimately winning. I recommend all social media users to do the following:
- Follow accounts that inspire you! If you are going to consume their content, make sure you are getting something out of it as well. For example, if you love fitness and want to learn ways to live a healthier lifestyle, follow individuals who cultivate the lifestyle you desire.
- Engage! If you find a group of likeminded users, engage with them. Social media should be inclusive and a learning experience for all. If you are going to spend time on a site, you might as well create some connections.
- Find an outlet for creativity. Discover a new hobby or enrich your skills of a current hobby and watch your passion grow!
The Bottom Line
Social media is an amazing tool that allows us to stay connected with loved ones, explore creativity, spread awareness, and acquire new skills or knowledge. Comparisons will naturally occur and it’s important to remember that behind every perfect shot there is editing and countless other images that did not make the final cut. Create, engage and learn from those who inspire you to be the best version of yourself!
NeoraFit Ambassador Maxie Haase is a Los Angeles based fitness instructor and personal trainer. She has been teaching at SoulCycle for almost three years and is also a virtual boxing coach. Maxie wants each of her students to feel challenged and accomplished after every session. She uses music to guide each workout and loves to move to the beat. Maxie believes everyone has an inner athlete and she strives to push her students to break through their limiting beliefs. You will leave class feeling energized and ready for the rest of your day. Maxie is excited to bring her knowledge and experience directly to you.