Miso Salmon Rice Bowl
For the bowl
|salmon filet with skin on, cut into four portions
|shiitake mushrooms, sliced
|cilantro, roughly chopped
|Salt and pepper to taste
For the miso salmon glaze
|white miso paste
|tamari or soy sauce
|purple cabbage, shredded
|Juice of one lime
|Pinch of sea salt
This Miso Salmon Rice Bowl is packed with protein, healthy fats, and tons of flavor – and it can be thrown together in about 30 minutes.
The miso-glazed salmon is the star of this bowl. The miso glaze is sweet and savory and the salmon is perfectly seared and tender. The marinated cabbage is slightly tangy and crunchy, while the shiitake mushrooms are earthy, rich, and buttery. Add buttery avocado and bright, citrusy cilantro and you have yourself a dynamic, well-balanced meal.
- We used peanut oil for this recipe. If you’re allergic to peanuts, swap for sesame oil, walnut oil, or coconut oil.
- We used white rice but feel free to sub cauliflower rice, brown rice, quinoa, or any grain you’d like.
- Although the salmon was quickly marinated, it was still very flavorful. If you have time to prep the salmon and cabbage ahead of time, marinate those both for longer for an even more flavorful dish.
- If shiitake mushrooms aren’t your favorite, feel free to substitute any mushroom you prefer, or try adding edamame instead!
- We used pre-shredded to save time on chopping. You could also use kimchi – however, the fresh, crunchy cabbage gave this bowl a little more complexity and texture.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the Miso Glaze. Marinate salmon in the glaze while you work on the next steps.
- To make the marinated cabbage, whisk together the juice of one lime, peanut oil, honey, and salt in a large bowl. Then add shredded cabbage and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté shiitake mushrooms with a pinch of salt for about 3 minutes or until soft. Remove from the pan and place in a separate bowl.
- Add another 1 tablespoon each of peanut oil and olive oil to the same pan on medium-low heat. Place salmon skin side down and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat once cooked.
- To assemble the bowls, add rice, top with salmon, then add cabbage, avocado, and cilantro.
- Serve & enjoy!